Forum Discussion

Whitney_iTalent
Team Member
3 months ago

Different change management models & framework

As an experienced change manager, I'd like to understand the frameworks and models that are available now and how I would differentiate when to use them?  I have evolved my own approach based on type of project but would like to revisit the models. 

• Adding further comment...

The most popular I see in companies that are training their employees for Change Management are Prosci ADKAR and the Association of Change Management Professionals CCMP.  Historically there is Lewin's, Kotter, McKinsey 7-S Model, Kübler-Ross Change Curve, to name other popular models.

Like you, I am an experienced change manager and as a consultant for year, have not seen a pure use of any model.  Almost all models need to be modified for specific company needs related not just to the what is it, but how to do it.  In my opinion, there's no single "best" organizational change management model, as the ideal approach depends on the specific change you're implementing. So, not only the company's needs, but the specific initiatives needs. As you have developed your own approach by type of project, you are already well versed and experienced in this knowledge. 

The models are great learning tools and revisiting them can trigger innovations in how you may do change management. 

• You can also utilize a more structured approach with Kotter's 8-step Change Model. This helps emphasize leadership and clear communication for more complex change initiatives.

• An option would be the Lewin's change management model, also known as unfreeze-change-refreeze. This is a simple 3 stage model for understanding and implementing change, and can provide a foundational framework for executing change initiatives